Monday, January 11, 2010

Grandmother's Garden: Reprise

A few days later I borrowed Maria's car to visit Grandpa & Grandma again. I was eager to spend time with Helen in her sewing room, soaking up any wisdom I could. As I settled into the sewing room, my eyes welled up with tears at all the comfort and love I felt, just from being there again. (Helen wasn't even in the room yet!)

So many memories fill this small room, casual and deep talks with Helen, alone and with siblings packed in there with me. Memories of watching her detailed work on a different sewing project each visit, despite her growing shakiness. Always knowing how gracious she is to lend her sewing abilities: dance pants, bridesmaid and flower girl dresses, and my temple dress. I will always be amazed by her.

Of course, during the visit Claire & I enjoyed the beautiful garden again. Here Claire is picking petals off of the flowers, licking a rock, protesting being placed on a stump, and testing out her running skills on the hill, and swaying on the welcoming bench swing.





3 comments:

Sarah said...

That was a beautiful post - and some beautiful ladies in those pictures =)

Cali said...

You make me want to visit with your Helen--she sounds magical, and her garden looks like such a retreat. Beautiful!

Valerie said...

Hello! I hope you don't mind that I popped by for a a visit when I saw (from your comment on my blog) that you had a blog. It was fun to see all the pics of your visit to Utah. I'm glad so many of you could get together.