Thursday, July 1, 2010

January Happenings

In January I got to see my niece, Carla (my brother Robert & Jenn's daughter), who was flying through Seattle on break from college at BYU Hawaii. I've barely spent any time with her so it was fun to get to know her more and see her excitement about things she's doing in her life. I dragged her to a gluten support group, which unfortunately turned out to be pretty boring that night. But, we stayed up late watching the movie "The Proposal" which I loved. I also made her a little name banner for her dorm room, from some crafty paper and ribbon.

My Christmas present was getting my ears pierced. I'd gotten them pierced when I was 12, but when I had braces in college I was so self-conscious about so much metal around my face that I took my earrings out for those few years. One of my holes grew shut and I just delayed getting them re-pierced. Mostly because I would want to buy lots of earrings and that seemed like a luxury to me. I figured I've waited long enough by now. :)

I got to do a lot of social things such as Book Club, Library Storytime for Claire, Sara's Sunset Potluck Group (we make food from Sunset Magazine and go on individual outings published in the magazine and let everyone know what was fun), a playdate with my dancer friend Shannon (her daughter is a few months older than Claire) & Christine (expecting her first baby soon), and lots of walks with Ketsy.

I also got to go to an 80's party thrown by Melissa from my church. She had the whole evening planned with 80's trivia & prizes, the Michael Jackson movie, and we were all treated to some crazy stories by everyone there. We stayed until 1 in the morning or so, and everyone was a bit tired! (Read: Silly) I was under-dressed in my 80's outfit of over-sized shirt tucked in front, hanging out in back, pegged jeans, lots of make-up, and with my "bangs" swooped up in a barrette. (The McComb's girls made their hair look so good back when we were teenagers.) Here is Jill, Ketsy, me, Shannon, Sara, Khadija, Molly, and Melissa in those white venetian blind glasses.


I sang a duet in church with a woman named Candy. It was the hymn "'Ere You Left Your Room This Morning" in a really pretty soprano/alto arrangement. The Stake President was visiting the ward that day and after we finished he motioned for us to stay on up in front of everyone, then he requested that we sing the whole song again, so that the congregation could feel the Spirit through music. Wow. I was nervous for my voice holding up with practicing a lot that morning. We got lots of compliments saying we sounded beautiful both times through the song. :)

No comments: