Sunday, June 28, 2009

Around the house in June

This tough baby can handle blood draws. The Dr. wanted to check her for Celiac Disease and it took the nurses 8-12 pokes and adjustments in each arm to get any blood. The nurse stopped after doing one arm and asked if I wanted to continue trying or they could send me to the children's hospital. We were already there and it would be good to just get it over with, so we said a little silent prayer and tried the other arm. Still difficult, but they finally got a vein. Poor baby was wailing through the whole ordeal. Thankfully, she calmed down pretty quickly with some of mama's milk. Her blood test came back normal, so they'll retest her every few years.

She loves anything just her size.

She's seeming more like a little girl every day.

And little girls love their clothes....especially accessories from mom or dad: shoes, belts, purses, etc.

All done with spaghetti with eggplant, asparagus, tomatoes, herbs, a white sauce with nutmeg on top, all sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Yum. Rich's "cloth monster" had a lot of fun eating up all the mess too.

Blessed parents.

3 comments:

Cali said...

Happy Birthday! I'm glad that you had such a fun and enjoyable birthday:)

Do you or Rich have Celiac disease? Just wondered.

Eileen said...

Thanks Cali! I'm the one with Celiac Disease, but it's hereditary so we'll have to keep an eye on our kids. My mom may have had it and one of my brothers tested positive right after me. It's controlled by a STRICT gluten-free diet, which means nothing made with regular flour and I have to make most everything from scratch. So, Rich & Claire eat a normal breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and I make a gluten-free dinner.

Mj said...

I am so happy Claire doesn't have Celiac disease. Hopefully, she won't ever get it. I had no idea it was genetic and that your brother has it and maybe your mom had it as well, so crazy! I feel for you and all those foods you have to be so careful about. At least it's looking positive for Claire so far, what an awful ordeal with her drawing blood, I'm glad they finally found a vein.