My midwives wrote that baby boy made "quite a dramatic entrance into his mother's arms this afternoon!" Jane, one of my doulas with Claire, responded, "Yay Eileen!!!! Sounds like I wouldn't have made it to this birth either! xoxo" I found it so funny, and perfectly said given how speedy everything was at the end.
When we decided to transfer to the hospital all the midwives packed up their supplies. They scrambled to get everything back out before the baby arrived. As such they didn't even get chux pads underneath me so there was a huge pool of blood on the floor (so glad for wood floors) and Rich talks about how it was splashing all over Beth. He likes to make it sounds so humorous.
Near the end of my labor I remember thinking, I never warned my next-door neighbor (who shares a bedroom wall with us) that I was in labor. My midwife assured me not to worry, that she'd figure it out. She must have been out of the house, she told me she didn't know I had the baby until she heard crying a few days later.
When I was laboring in the bathroom, I heard a knock at the door. It was the Elder's Quorum President from church stopping by to talk to Rich. The midwives answered the door and in an flurry of activity (packing to go to the hospital) they told him, "Now's not a good time", and shut the door. I'm pretty sure he heard me in transition labor. But, people should know not to just stop by when an overdue couple is absent from church. :)
This was such a hard birth that I felt particularly bad for Eva and Ketsy who were both pregnant and due to have their babies soon. I had hoped I didn't scare them by being a "wild woman". But, they both assured me that they both came away from it inspired and empowered. I remember one of the student midwives telling me as she left that I was "amazing - a birthing goddess".
After the birth I was in a state of shock and while Rich held him I kept having to remind myself, "Eileen, you just had a baby. Look at your baby." Even though he was so sweet and perfect, it just took me a long time to gather myself. Rich declared in complete awe, "Don't ever say you can't do anything, ever again." I have felt some trauma from this birth and over a year later I can still cry about it. I just can't believe I was in that much pain - it was very scary. For a long time afterward I thought we might only have 2 kids, ever. But, it helps to remind myself that I was in labor for 37 hours, and it was only the last 45 minutes that were unbearable. Yet, even that part, I got through it. And, yes, I do want more children, someday, somehow.







2 comments:
Beautiful, again :)
That is a wonderful picture of Rich and Gavin. And you are a birth goddess!
Post a Comment