Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Winter Tried to Kill Me

October began a period of months of illness in our family.  I think the final tally was:

Eileen - 9 times.  Usually colds, but I developed bronchitis which made me cough literally hundreds of times a day.  It got worse at night and you know how often a pregnant woman gets up to go to the bathroom at night.  Once, I got up and just in the bathroom and getting back to bed I coughed over 70 times.  Imagine the strain on a pregnant belly - it felt like my ribs had been fractured from the coughing.  Add in there a frustrating trip to the Emergency Room a few days before my due date, a few rounds of antibiotics, acupuncture, Chinese medicinal tea, being 12 days overdue.  UGH.  The colds reappeared throughout my sleep-deprived postpartum recovery.  Add to the postpartum recovery: Healing from tears/stitches, along with Physical Therapy, Massage Therapy, and Chiropractic for bony pain when sitting and we're talking about a lot of Dr. appointments.

Rich - 1 time with a lingering month long cough

Claire - 4 times, including an ear infection

New Baby - 2 times, including bronchiolitis which required a trip to Urgent Care and an inhaler, as well as a broken clavicle from the birth, which required a few trips to Seattle Children's for x-rays and follow-up.  Poor new baby!

WINTER WAS HARD.

What would we do without the Relief Society sisters' willingness to help us?  We were brought dozens of meals (most women signed up a few times to bring us meals and all of the meals included enough food for leftovers), my kids were sent to playdates so I could nap or go to Dr. appointments, Claire was taken to church on Sunday, to a Halloween Party, and our new family of 4 was invited to Alyce and Dave E.'s house for a Thanksgiving feast.  I feel like it's impossible to express how much all of this help meant to us.  I hope I've included everyone's names here!  THANK YOU, my friends!

Meals and baked goods: Amy B., Sara B., Amanda T., Annie B., Nancy B., Alyce E., Eva C., Mel G., Janis W., and Jennifer B., Candy W., Jennifer M., Jessica P., Tara H., Marsha M., and Jo S.

Childcare: Sara B., Amy B., Amanda T., Ketsy H., Eva C., Alyce E., and Mindy P.

I also was brought meals from my dance friends: Christine W., Shannon B., and Amy S.

Luckily, Rich worked from home several days here and there to give me a break, as well as taking a 2-week paternity leave.  He also often watched the kids at his office while I went to physical therapy.  Unluckily, Claire quickly became a little TV addict while Mommy rested.

Luckily, Winter passed and our Health returned.  Writing all of this out I'm truly amazed that we pulled through and I'm truly amazed at the outpouring of concern and care given to us.  Heavenly Father is mindful of me and my family.  He inspires people to reach out and gives them extra energy to fulfill their personal responsibilities and to help others.  He heals.  He answers prayers.  He loves us.  Beautiful!

1 comment:

Christine said...

here's to health and no more icky winters for the Wingfields!