Wednesday, August 11, 2010

708 days


I breastfed Claire for 708 days. I can't find the words to express my feelings about nourishing her in such a loving, profound way. I have such sweet feelings about nursing her. One of my absolute favorite images is of her nursing vigorously, only to pause, look up at me, and give me the biggest milk-filled smile ever. I will always love those memories.

I thought I would nurse Claire even after a new baby came along, but I dropped that idea pretty quickly when I became pregnant again and felt sore with nursing. I stopped the before nap nursing first. Within a couple weeks, I was trying to get her attention to come nurse before bedtime. She was running around and didn't seem interested in our nightly ritual. Rich suggested maybe she should skip the bedtime nursing. He called Claire to come brush her teeth, and she went to brush her teeth. I called out to Rich, "Okay, I'll just sit in here and cry." That was the last of the bedtime nursings.

Within a couple weeks I was nursing her in our bed in the morning. She latched on, sucked for 2 sucks, then popped off, and shook her head "No." She had done this a few times before, but I had been able to coax her to latch on again. This time she had made up her mind. I had a sweet conversation with her about Mama's milk. I asked her if Mama's milk was all gone and she shook her head "No". I asked her if she thought Mama's milk tasted good and she said, "Yes." I asked her if she wanted to nurse some more and she said, "No." In the next week, she cried for milk 2 or 3 times, and I offered her my breast, but she didn't nurse anymore. So, I guess she was ready to wean.

I'm grateful that I was able to successfully breastfeed her for so long, that her weaning was gradual, and that it was a combination of both of us being ready to move on. Of course, I'm torn about it (still months later) and I miss that bond I had with her. I just need to remind myself how wonderful and loving it was for those 708 days.

P.S.  The day after I wrote this post, Claire and I were cuddling and she started asking about milk.  I told her that I was sorry and that I didn't have any milk left for her.  She let out a few really sad cries for milk.  Awww.

3 comments:

Mary Monster Mary said...

Wow,way to go. My kids did not want to nurse whenever I was pregnant again. I just figured the milk tasted different. Ihad one doctor who told me to if I wanted to keep nursing I should and another told me to quit. I only quit cause my kids quit. Even with my last one he weaned himself at about 13 months. I did love nursing my babies though.

Cali said...

Wow! I always wanted to nurse for a long time, but always stopped when I became pregnant again (on the advice of our pediatrician and my OB). What a wonderful bond you created with Claire.

Mj said...

Nursing is a bonding experience that seems to capture the love you have for your baby and the love your baby has for you. I think you captured it perfectly with you story of Claire and how she looked up at you with a big milky grin. Asher does the same, he'll nurse, stop, look up and smile that sweet, innocent, trusting and loving smile that starts with his mouth and finds it's way up to his eyes. I love our moments together. It's tough to stop nursing, but it sounds like it happened naturally and fairly easily with Claire. In no time at all, you'll be at it again with baby number two! :-)