Monday, August 9, 2010

March

My cousin, Dara, from NYC came to visit me with her son Arlo. It seems like it was a full 10 years since I'd seen her last. I've felt a kinship with her despite our rare visits, so it was nice to have time to really talk, to eat, and to sightsee together. As an Art Historian with a specialty in Architecture, she loved seeing the downtown library and the Olympic Sculpture Park, where she was able to rattle off the artist's names at a quick glance of the sculptures. Arlo enjoyed running around the park, but he was also picking up on his mom's "art lessons". Dara loved seeing the Northwest's green trees, water, harbor, and a perfect rainbow all in one drive. I thought I had a picture of her that turned out, but this is it from her visit. Maybe next time, we'll get more than one day together. :)


Claire "shopping".

It must have been a busy day!

Daddy loving his time with Claire.



This is her new thing: Hiding. Even with my friends that she sees every week! She'll even do it while she's walking down the sidewalk and someone is approaching us. It's really cute, but I hope I haven't drawn attention to her, as I'm trying to find the balance between encouraging her to open up and helping her feel safe. Give her a few minutes and she starts peeking through her hands. Haha. I LOVE her hair up in a "pony hair". But, I must have pulled it too much because anytime I suggest giving her a "pony hair", she yells "No!" and runs away.


Other activities in March: lots of walking, bookclub, toddler storytime, my Dancer's Lunch, a Feminist Mormon Housewives snacker, Relief Society birthday dinner, going along to Christine's ultrasound with Karen and feasting on a yummy lunch afterwards, a church potluck, going to a BYU Theatre Ballet concert (brought me some pride from back when I was on that company), a Sunset magazine group that my friend Sara has put together (we read the mag, make a recipe and bring a dish to share, go on outings suggested in the magazine and share what we liked doing - it's fun), a farewell party for Melissa from church, dinner with a friend, and taking Claire to a bounce house where I took her down a big slide a few times - enough to make me feel nauseous. I think she had the most fun throwing a lone ball around the room and getting some attention from her friend, James. :)

No comments: